Thursday, July 10, 2008

Sounds of the Crucifixion

Updated: December 2011

I've had several people trying to locate a play idea that a friend came up with years ago but I was able and honored to be able to develop fully. It has been performed as far as I know in Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Orlando, Austin, Boston, Los Angles, Mexico City, and Sau Paulo, Brazil. I'm sure it has been done in other locations. If you know of them, please let me know.

The play is called Hammer and Nails: The Sounds of the Crucifixion. This is the ORIGINAL developed in the late 80s by Camaron Corr. Many have done their own take on it, but this is where everyone got their inspiration.

It is about 15 minutes long and as the title suggests, it is simply the sounds leading up to the crucifixion of Jesus. The unique thing is that it is done TOTALLY IN THE DARK and the actors actually perform the majority of the play IN the audience. When done with eager, vulnerable, and honest actors, it has rarely failed to bring even the most hard-hearted individuals to tears. As a director, actor, or witness, I have never experienced anything quite like it. And because of the nature of the play, it must be done in a more intimate setting. I don't recommend having more than 300 in any given audience or it loses some of its power.

  
The play is under copyright protection.  The cast script is free. The Director's Script, however is a summation of notes and suggestions gleaned from directing this production over a period of 20 years with a wide variety of cast members, some professional actors, but most of them amateurs with great hearts.  The Director's Script includes: 

  • audition scripts and notes
  • book references for your actors' character studies
  • casting suggestions
  • rehearsal notes
  • suggestions for preparing your actors
  • seating floor plans for the performance
  • blocking maps
  • performance recommendations
  • suggestions for female directors leading a predominantly male cast
  • music recommendations
The cost is $14.99. You can pay for it via PayPal HERE. Email me after you place your order and when I get confirmation of payment, I will send you your digital copy.

If you want to just take a look at the cast script first, just email me I'll be glad to forward it to you. I ask only that you give me a little information in return as I believe it it my role to protect the integrity of the original production.  In your email, please include the following:
  • Where you heard about the production and from whom?
  • Have you experienced it yourself?
  • Who is the person/persons directing the production and have they experienced it?
  • For what church or organization will it be performed?
  • For what age group will it be performed?
I look forward to hearing from you. If you can't get me via email, you can always send me a message via Facebook.

Kim Pullen
kim@kimpullen.net

1 comment:

Shane said...

I tried to email you but the message failed. Help? Shane Luttrell